What is SiteMesh?
SiteMesh is a lightweight and flexible Java web application framework that applies the Gang of Four decorator pattern to allow a clean separation of content from presentation.
Imagine working with only the simple content of your website and having the complex presentation code applied (decorated) just before delivery to the browser.
- SiteMesh is easy to learn. 5 minutes to setup, and 10 minutes to start being useful.
- SiteMesh is integrates easily and starts with just 3 files.
- At the same time, SiteMesh has many advanced features and works with popular frameworks such as Spring and Struts.
SiteMesh may be simple to start using right away, but there is much more,
- SiteMesh intercepts requests to any static or dynamically generated HTML page requested through the web-server, processes the content and then merges it with one or more decorators to build the final result.
- SiteMesh can also be used compose large pages of smaller pages and layouts.
- SiteMesh can be used in Java based web-applications, or applied to content as an offline job.
- SiteMesh is extensible.
For more details, see Mike Cannon-Brookes' PowerPoint presented at the Vegas Server Side Symposium.