What is SiteMesh?
SiteMesh 3 has been officially released.
SiteMesh is a web-page layout and decoration framework and lightweight and flexible Java web application integration framework.
What Can SiteMesh Do for You?
At it's simplest, SiteMesh can
# SiteMesh intercepts requests to any static or dynamically generated HTML page requested through the web-server, processes the content and then merges it with one or more decorators framework that applies the Gang of Four decorator pattern to allow a clean separation of content from presentation.
Work with the content of your website and have the appropriate look and feel applied (decorated) just before delivery to a PC or Mobile device.
- SiteMesh is easy to learn. 5 minutes to setup, and 10 minutes to start being useful.
- SiteMesh integrates quickly, just 4 files.
Why Use SiteMesh
Write your content once and present it in many different ways,
Let's Hear Some More
SiteMesh uses Filters introduced since Java Servlet version 2.3.
- SiteMesh intercepts responses to generated HTML and merges it with decorator(s) to build the final result.
- SiteMesh can
- be used
- in Java based web-applications, or applied to content as an offline job.
- Enterprise class web applications and products such as Atlasssian Confluence use SiteMesh.
For a good overview, see Mike Cannon-Brookes' PowerPoint presented at the Vegas Server Side Symposium.