SiteMesh is a lightweight and flexible Java web application framework that applies the Gang of Four decorator pattern to allow a clean separation of content from presentation.
Work with the simple content of your website and have the appropriate look and feel applied (decorated) just before delivery to a PC or Mobile device.
- SiteMesh is easy to learn. 5 minutes to setup, and 10 minutes to start being useful.
- SiteMesh integrates quickly starting with just 4 files.
Write your content once and present it in many different ways,
SiteMesh uses Filters introduced since Java Servlet version 2.3.
- SiteMesh intercepts requests to any generated HTML page, processes the content and then merges it with one or more decorators to build the final result.
- SiteMesh can also be used to compose large pages of smaller pages and layouts.
- SiteMesh can be used in Java based web-applications, or applied to content as an offline job.
For a good overview, see Mike Cannon-Brookes' PowerPoint presented at the Vegas Server Side Symposium.